Sunday, September 20, 2009

Canning Peaches and Other Random News

So I learned how to can peaches this past week. One of my coworkers agreed to teach me, so after school on Wednesday I went to her house and started canning. It was so much fun! I have decided I love the satisfaction of canning. I have included some pictures of the event. They are in reverse order. This week I will be doing tomatoes and hopefully spaghetti sauce.

17 Jars of peaches 6 jars of peach jam. (Only five are there because I was taking one home before they all cooled)
Peaches
Marsha my wonderful teacher and coworker.
cleaning the rims before putting on the lids
slicing the peaches for the jam


peeling and slicing the peaches.


Ok so the other random news. My school has a grant for a healthy snack everyday. This is either a fresh fruit or veggie. We have had a variety of different things including dragon fruit, kiwi, avocado, and the normal fruits and veggies. This week we were given colored cauliflower. I think they colored it but who knows. They had purple, orange, yellow and green.
This week was Homecoming in Firth and on Friday they had a homecoming parade. It was more like throw the high school kids in the back of trucks and drive by the elementary and throw candy. I have included some pictures of my small town fun. The kids loved all the candy they got.
The line of kids in front of our school

My secretary Dani not wanting her picture taken.




2 comments:

Holly said...

All those peaches look delicious! I've never been very interested in learning how to can, but figure I should so I can be more prepared and all that, so I'm going to be learning this fall with some ladies from the ward. You make it look pretty fun so thanks for helping me get excited about it:)

Melissa said...

Way to go Becca! Your peaches look great!! I like looking at your blog every once in awhile and keeping up with the things you are doing. Looks like things are going good for you and I hope so. Take care!