I have officially taught (survived) my first full week of 3rd grade so I thought I should post about my new job. It is wonderful!!! The drive isn't even that bad. I work with some great people and I have some great kids. I am happy once again which is nice to say because I have been extremely depressed since I lost my job back in April. I don't even know how to express how nice it feels to have a smile on my face that isn't fake for once. Besides for starting school I haven't done much of anything. I decided to include some pictures of my classroom for all to see. It is smaller than my room at Harwood but it has windows that open so I will take the trade.
My desk and all my teaching books on the shelves. And that is a yummy hazelnut hot chocolate in that cup. Teaching has not driven me to drink coffee, even though one of my students said something about me liking coffee yesterday. She even seemed disappointed when she saw the cup until I told her what is was. I guess it happens when most of your students are LDS. I like my lovely view of the field. Since I have started going to school daily there have been 3 different cows grazing there. I just hope they stay away now that kids can be there too.

A pledge I got from one of my colleagues, Carla Zundel. Students say it each morning after we say the Pledge of Allegiance.

My first bulletin board of the year. Each student had to tell why they are special.





Looking at the front. I hate having chalk boards. My hands feel gross all day from writing on it.

My class is themed with frogs. They have a frog on their name tags and their are frogs outside with their names on then. I have other frog things, I just haven't decided where to put them. Firth is definitely different from Harwood. Things are way more relaxed, we don't really have a dress code, there doesn't seem to be as many things that have to be done, and we have aids that will help with anything they can including copying and grading. I am being spoiled in so many ways. Third grade is easier too because I feel like I can give instructions and then go and do something else or work with one or two students without being interupted or hear "teacher, teacher" I do miss the collaboration that occured in Rigby. I feel like I am mostly on my own and have to seek out any help or guidence with what I am teaching. I don't like doing that because I don't want my coworkers thinking I can't do my job. Thankfully Carla is still around to help even if she does teach in a different school and a different reading curriculum. All and all I love it though and I look forward to the kids coming in each day.
3 comments:
I know, I know, it's annoying when people say, "You think that's bad, but..." but I'm going to anyway! In the school I started working at last year, I taught a combined 2nd/3rd grade class and there were only 4 teachers in the whole school! There really WASN'T anyone I could discuss things with! I was totally on my own. And my room was so small that we couldn't even fit normal size desks in! My kids had to sit in little kid desks. Also, I put up my boards to cover holes in the walls-- I wasn't doing a "theme," I was just trying to hide them! I just stapled paper on the regular wall! It was ridiculous! I didn't have a curriculum-- I had to use teacher books from the 80s (the principal had picked them up at a yard sale for like 50 cents a piece) and didn't even have student readers! I had to make copies of my teacher book for the students to have something to read. Honestly, ridiculous. I had to buy my own dry erase markers, pens, paper, stapler, pencil sharpener, and school supplies for 1/3 of my students out of my own money. I didn't have a budget and didn't get a dime in classroom money and we didn't have a supply closet to get things from. It made me miss Harwood so, so much! Charter schools suck! Some people are made to teach in situations like that, but it is not me! So glad I am done! Ha ha, so just a little note to make you appreciate your little classroom even more! Glad to hear things are going good! (and it looks cute by the way!)
I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well and are happy with the way things turned out. Your classroom looks great, I love seeing fresh school supplies and new books, it makes me smile:) Good luck with the kids, they're lucky to have such an awesome teacher!
Becca~ Your classroom looks so great! It made me wish I was teaching but that will come soon. I'm so glad things are going good for you and you have a smile on your face. Keep that smile!! I wish you the best with everything you do! Remember things happen for reasons. Best wishes throughout the year!
Post a Comment